Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Jack the Yellow Bird

Jack spent the last 2 weeks learning his way around the Yellow Bird classroom and Monday, he left the Green Bird nest for good!  It's a big step...and the very last stop on the road to Kindergarten!  I have a hard time even typing that word.  I can't even believe it's time to think about it, but really...it's another year off...so let's just not!
Yellow Birds...Yellow birds are kinda big kids.  They are big enough to ride the Big Kid Van.  That's huge.  They are big enough to take swimming lessons and have to brush their teeth before nap.  The don't wear pull-ups and they don't have accidents at naptime. They also get to serve themselves at lunch! It's a big deal, being a Yellow Bird.  And Jack Lion has made us very proud making this transition.  He's handled it with more confidence and bravery than any other transition he's made.  I only saw a couple of tears and they were on the very first day and once we figured out how to address his fears (would there be enough time to play with Emerson and would the naptime room be too dark and would naptime take too many minutes), he was completely over them and looking at all the positives that came with being a Yellow Bird.   Nice work Jack Lion, NICE WORK!  


What else is he up to?  


He loves to play "the alligator game" on my Kindle.  It's really called "Where's my water" and it's a problem solving game that he's really good at.  There's an alligator in a bathtub and it needs water.  On the screen there's water and lot of obstacles to overcome to get the water in the tub.  It kind of fascinates me how quickly he figures it out and how he knows what button to push when he can't read the words.  I'm no fan of video games at all and probably dread that part about boys more than anything else.  But he loves it and it makes him think and let's face it, it keeps him quiet sometimes when I need him to be...like in a restaurant.  


He and Max both love to watch Curious George on tv.  


He still loves pesto pasta a whole lot.  And grapes.  And peanut butter apple butter sandwiches. 


He loves to play soccer in the back yard and play in the sandbox.  


He loves his brother.  SO MUCH.  In fact, on his first full day of Yellow Birds he came in the kitchen and asked me if Max could be in his class too!  I explained that I didn't think Max was quite ready to be a Yellow Bird (he can't get up the steps alone or brush his teeth alone, etc). Jack responded with "but I just want to play with him ALL the time!"  So sweet!
He's very cautious but getting braver.  


He still loves to draw and is really good at it.  One night he was drawing a T-Rex and had to leave it before he was done because it was bath time. The next morning he got up and found it, right where he'd left it, in the playroom.  He studied it a bit, wrinkled up his face a bit and said "I need more paper Daddy, this T-Rex's arms are TERRIBLE!"   


He's pretty hard on himself.  If it's not perfect, he's not happy. I have no idea where he could have gotten this...


He loves to talk.  Sometimes we are fascinated that the two of us, who aren't big talkers, made a child who never seems to want to stop talking!


He isn't excited about kindergarten but does love the playground at the school where he will go to kindergarten. Hopefully that won't wear off.


He hates riding in the car and would much prefer to walk or ride his bike anywhere.


He's always watching out for Max.


He has a fascination with bugs.  Of all kinds.  He loves catching lightning bugs, which is a lot of fun, admittedly, but he loves to inspect all other bugs too.  Such a boy.


He wears 4T shirts but his 3T shorts fall off of him.  


He likes to sleep in socks, even when it's hot out.


He loves to spot a bird or chipmunk (he calls them chickmunks) in the yard and chase it, as though he might actually catch it. 



He says some really funny things...like he thinks the doctor who works on animals is a PETrenarian.  Makes sense actually...

A few weeks ago he asked me when I started to love him.  I said from the moment he was born and he said no, not then!  I said, well, actually, from the moment I knew you were in my belly, or maybe even before.  I guess I've just always loved you.  Then he said, but you love me more now than you did then, right?  Well, that's probably true baby.  I love you a little bit more every day and I just couldn't be more proud of who you are!

No comments: