Monday, March 14, 2011

SIX months old!

Where is that pause button??  Six months?  Is that really possible?  I can't believe it. But look...just look at that precious smile! 
This month brought more smiles, more sounds and less sleep!  He definitely found his voice (or the volume knob) and started to make sounds just for fun, or just to be heard. He loves blowing raspberries and squealing!

This was also the month when we started to explore food a bit.  We're doing things a bit different with Max than we did with Jack, mostly because Jack wasn't still nursing at this point.  But also because Jack is a very picky eater and while I know most toddlers are, I think some of the choices we made with exposing him to food probably played into that a little bit as well.  In short I'd say we're letting Max lead the way a bit more than we did with Jack.  We have tried cereal and some fruit and veggie purees but we're also letting him feed himself real food, which we didn't do with Jack until much much later.  Anyway, it's going well, and we're all having fun with it I think!  Here he is licking the bowl...
trying rice crackers...
and a giant grin after feeding himself a big hunk of avocado! YUM!
His 6 month stats:
     weight: 17lbs 5 ounces (50th %)
     length: 26" (50th %)
     head: 18" (90th % ) - still on the chart!
Interestingly he's almost exactly the same size as Jack was at 6 months!  He eats so much better than Jack ever did that I can't really believe they are the same size.

Sleep, or the lack thereof, was probably our biggest issue.  It's a good thing he's so cute and smiley, let me tell you.  He's still up 1-4 times a night.  It's very inconsistent and seems to have no pattern.  The pediatrician suggested we let him cry it out at this point, but I'm no fan, so I'll stop whining.  But Max, whenever you're ready, Momma would sure love a good night's sleep.  Daddy would too.  Whenever you're ready!  We're working on a solid nap/eating schedule, but until he's sleeping well at night, it's kind of hard to control.  He's taking 2-3 naps and eating 5-6 times a day for the most part, but can't go much longer than 3 hours at a time during the day between nursing or a bottle. We'll get there though, and until we do, we'll be a little loopy, but that's ok! :)!
Max had his first playdate with Henry this month, which was a lot of fun.  These guys are just a couple of weeks apart and I hope they will be good buddies!
I know it looks like he spends all of his time in the exersaucer, and he does love being in there, but mostly that's the easiest place for me to get good pictures of him!  He's sitting on his own pretty well, but not quite well enough for me to walk away and get the camera.  In the next few weeks I think he'll be there.  He gets stronger every day!
We're definitely getting the hang of this family of 4 thing and some days I'm not sure how we lived so long without Max!  He's so sweet and keeps us all smiling.  Especially Jack.  I really never expected Jack and Max to like each other until they were old enough to play together.  But they both just light up when they see each other.  It's so neat to see and I'm just so thankful.  I'm sure it won't always be like that, but for now, I love watching them interact and am head over heels in love with these two red-headed cutie pies!  How'd I get so lucky?


No comments: