Thursday, March 8, 2012

FOUR

How in the world I am a mother to a FOUR year old, I will never be sure.  It was surely just yesterday that we were feeling him flip around in my belly and debating which color of blue the nursery should be.  And now, now, he's all grown up it seems.  And it's really hard for me.  The morning before his birthday, I got a little teary as I sent him off to school, cupcakes in hand.  He looked at me for a few moments and asked, so innocently, "Momma, are you sad?"  "Yes, baby, I am.  I'm a little sad that you are almost 4 and getting to be such a big boy."  He seemed to understand.  He said, "because you just want me to stay little?"  "Yes, sweet pea, I just want you to stay little."  I do.  We didn't dwell on it, and I won't here either.  Four, so far, is turning out to be a great age and while he's definitely a medium sized kid, he's a pretty darn cool one, if I do say so myself!
He's madly in love with superheroes, but doesn't like to watch the parts of the shows that are scary or mean.  He's just in love with the idea mostly, which I love.


He's really sure of himself, which makes me proud.  


He's using big words, like actually and evaporate and definitely.  He loves the word gross and this week learned the word fart.  He's definitely a boy.


He still loves snuggles. Right now he likes to curl up on the couch with me under a blanket and read books.  There's nothing more wonderful in my mind.   


He's really good at building with Legos.  But mostly he wants to draw or play with his animals.  He loves figurine animals and we have about 8000.  From squirrels to whales to llamas.  He loves making forts and lining them up in a parade.  


He loves books.  Especially books about sharks.  
He is willing to try a lot more foods but he's still really picky about them...like there can't be any cheese strings on his pizza or spots on his fruit.  He has to have things just so, but then, life is grand.


He loves his friends.  Especially Emerson.  Whatever Jack thinks Emerson will think is cool, he's excited about.  This morning Jack was choosing a little tattoo to put on and he chose the one he thought Emerson would like the most!  Of all the people he could feel that way about, I'd choose Emerson too.  He's a really cool kid!


He never ever has a potty accident at home, but has them from time to time at school.  He sleeps in a pull-up still.  


He loves his little brother to pieces.  He wants Max to be with him always.  He gets SO excited when he teaches Max something new.  He was made to be a big brother, for sure.
He's so thoughtful.  Ansley's dog is sick and I told Jack that, because Jack loves her dog Kaiser and I thought he should know that Kaiser might not be around much longer.  Jack asked a few questions about what was wrong with him  and if we could take him some treats to make him feel better.  Then got quiet for a minute and said, "Momma, we should take China (their cat) a present too, because she must be really sad."  I melted a little, I'll admit.  


His drawing skills will never cease to amaze me.  He just looks at things and draws them.  It's fascinating to me, who can only draw things with straight lines.


He can write all of his letters and loves to do so.  He's still on capital letters for the most part, but knows a few of the "baby" letters too.


He loves real music.  He's really into the Black Keys and knows all the words, after hearing them just once or twice.  He prefers Daddy's ipod to mine.


He doesn't like wearing shirts without something on them.  Stripes are ok sometimes, but for the most part, he insists that there be something on it, for school at least. 


He loves building forts with the couch cushions and blankets.  I always loved doing that too. 

He loves doing puzzles and is really good at them.  He's into the 100 piece ones and usually wants a little help with those, but could do them alone if he had the patience.  He informed me the other day that he really only liked doing new puzzles.  


He calls Lincoln Logs "Winkin Logs."  And we laugh every single time.


He loves to go new places and meet new people.  I hope that never changes.  


He still panics if water gets in his eyes in the bathtub.  He's also still really scared of mascots and this year we learned that also applies to clowns.


He's smart, he's funny, he's sweet and thoughtful.  And I love him to pieces and can't wait to see who he turns out to be.  Whoever and whatever that may be, I hope he knows that I am his biggest fan and always will be.  I love you Jack Lion, I love you my sweet baby boy.

No comments: